Our Post was originally established around 1920 right after the end of World War 1 and officially chartered April 28, 1924.
Our American Legion Auxiliary was chartered May 26, 1927, and our Sons of the American Legion was chartered December 19, 1940.
Our Post was named in honor of Private Howard A. Van Wagner, 6th Regiment, U.S. Engineers, Company E. He was from Locust Valley and was killed in action during World War 1.